leaf image

Maureen Callnan, Licensed and board certified therapist/counselor

“ Mindfulness, a simple yet powerful way of paying attention to your most difficult emotions and life experiences, can help you break the cycle of chronic unhappiness once and for all.”

Mark Williams, The Mindful Way Through Depression

What is ‘mindfulness therapy’?

Mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT) is a novel therapeutic approach that enhances traditional cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and was developed to relieve suffering, especially the emotional distress that often accompanies depression and anxiety.

Mindfulness does not replace traditional therapies, but rather enhances their effectiveness. It can enable you to become aware of the connections and influences between stressors or “triggers,” and feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Through this awareness, you can break free from patterns that no longer serve you.

Simply put, mindfulness connects us to the present moment where we can discover our full potential.

With mindfulness we enhance our capacity for self-observation and develop:

  • insight
  • compassion
  • capacity for healing
  • ability to weather life changes

This knowing ourselves better is a key ingredient to mindfulness therapy’s effectiveness. It provides an opportunity for you to wake up to your own life. It is only when you are fully awake and aware, that you can be liberated from your suffering.

What can you expect?

Mindfulness therapy is a time limited therapeutic approach. We will work together intensively for a number of weeks. It is structured and every week you can expect to cover new material. It is individually focused and the session is woven around issues that are most important in your life, at the time. It is hard work and much of the healing happens outside of the therapy session. I often suggest that 10% of the effort occurs in the therapy session and the remaining 90% as you are practicing the skills and mediation practices on your own.

Treatment works

Mindfulness based cognitive therapy can help with:

  • creating a healthy life style
  • practical tools for emotional healing
  • regaining a sense of hope
  • radical acceptance
  • improving relationships
  • sidestepping negative ruminations
  • viewing thoughts as just thoughts
  • becoming aware of our stories
  • utilizing the breath for wellness
  • feeling happier


Contact info: 207.773.1966 with questions or
to schedule an appointment.